top of page

Woodland FC roars back in 2nd half to claim inaugural win!

Updated: 6 days ago

Woodland FC hosted the first ever match in The Select League on a beautiful, but windy, April day. They played host to Southside FC, who travelled up from Grandview MO.

The match started well with each team having a few half-chances apiece, exchanging possession multiple times as they searched for the opening goal.

It would come at the 10th-minute when Woodland intercepted a pass on their defensive line. Then, after an excellent attacking move that used 8 consecutive passes, forward Brett Jackson played midfielder Michael Okiring through on goal with an excellently weighted through ball that Okiring was able to slot past the onrushing keeper. This was the first ever goal scored for club and league.

The Royals would struggle to extend their lead, as Southside made a key interception in midfield, quickly turned defense into attack as Tony Rangel converted an excellent counterattack for the Grandview side.

The Royals would fall behind for the first time just a few minutes later as midfielder Luke Heaton would concede a penalty kick to Southside. The goal was slotted home by Ramiro Vasquez to give Southside a 2-1 lead. Woodland would redouble their efforts and launch wave after wave of attacks on the Southside goal. Forward Chandler Givler would be fouled in the box and win a penalty kick. Unfortunately, Johnathan Young scuffed his spot kick, and the effort was saved. This would be the final action of the half and the Royals would enter halftime trailing 2-1.

The deficit would not last long, as within the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half the Royals would take the lead through a Chandler Givler brace within a 3-minute period. A diving header sparked the comeback, and a penalty kick gave them the lead. It was a lead Woodland would never relinquish.

15-minutes later Woodland winger Haddon DeMoure would add the insurance goal off a great assist from Givler.

Southside would net a late consolation goal, but would run out of time as the Royals held onto the 4-3 lead and the win. Their first 3 points, and a tie for the league lead was secured in a gripping and enthralling encounter.

Follow these links to hear the post-game interviews with Michael Okiring, Chandler Givler, and coach Ross Harris.

The Royals next match is Saturday, April 13th, at Liberty FC in Liberty Missouri, at 2:00pm. The Blues will be desperate to pickup a win after falling 5-1 to Real Overland Park on match day 1.

254 views0 comments


bottom of page