top of page

Woodland FC Derail Lee's Summit Athletic--2 Wins From the Title

The Royals of Woodland FC traveled to Lee's Summit MO to take on Lee's Summit Athletic in a battle between two clubs with polor opposite seasons.

The Royals sat atop the table at 30 pts from 11 matches heading into the match. They were also riding an 8-match winning streak.

Lee's Summit sat at 9 pts from 10 matches, trying to gain any ground they could to work their up the table with the few matches remaining that they had. Lee's Summit was also missing their top two scorers, and starting goalkeeper for this match. The odds were not in their favor.

{ '13 }

The Royals worked their way up the pitch through some excellent passing and were rewarded by winning a throw-in deep in the attacking third of the pitch. Woodland captain Gage Pemberton took a long throw deep into the box. No one was able to get a head to it, and it bounced perfectly past the keeper to the waiting Brett Jackson who was able to tap it home for the 1-0 lead. The Royals struck first yet again, and again from inside the 6-yard box.

{ '23 }

Pemberton would help set up another goal just 10 minutes later when he found himself in a good deal of space on the right hand side. Several Woodland players were queing up in the penalty box, waiting for the delivery. Pemberton would oblige with a whipped cross from deep that sailed between the penalty spot, and the top of the box. Joseph Caughron adjusted well, and met the ball in midair before it bounced, catching it cleanly with his side-foot, and smashing it into the side netting. One of the goals of the season for the Royals.

{ '24 }

Just 90 seconds later, Caughron would strike again. Athletic was quite lax in their urgency to pass the ball out of the backline following the kickoff. Caughron pounced by deflecting a pass right into his path. He got in front of his defender, cut it back across his body with an excellent Cruyff turn, and slotted it into the right side of the net with his left foot for the 3-0 lead.

{ '25 }

The goals would continue to come in quick succession. Jordan Flores dribbled the ball up the left sideline before playing a short pass to Spence Jean-Baptiste. Jean-Baptiste dribbled around the Lee's Summit right back, took the ball into the box, and played a hard low cross through the 6-yard box to the waiting Haddon DeMoure to tap in to extend their lead to 4-0.

In the space of 3-minutes, the match had gone from a disjointed 1-0, to a crushing 4-0 lead. The Royals would take the lead into halftime, able to give some starters some lighter minutes with only a 3-day rest before their match against Lee's Summit.

{ 2nd half }

The Royals had a smattering of chances fall their way in the 2nd half. Josh Sherfy barely missed two chances, one off a cross, one that should have been a tap in from the six. Brennan Williams smashed a header against the cross bar following a good cross from Héliot Garcia late in the game. Andersson Obando sent a few shots just over the cross bar. Brett Jackson narrowly went wide, as did Pierre Bellerice, Haddon DeMoure, and Spencer Bone.

The highlight of the half though was when a Lee's Summit through ball made it past the defence successfully, allowing a 1v1 with Naguib Nassir, the Woodland keeper. Nassir would make himself large, and block the shot to preserve the shut-out, and shut down any hopes of making the match more interesting than it needed to be.

The Royals improved to 11-0-1 33pts earned through 12 matches. They extended their win streak to 9, the longest of the season. Their next match is Friday, July 12th, 6pm, at home against Leawood Forest. The match will be played at Charles J. Stump Memorial Park, field #3.

You can watch the match replay here on our youtube channel!

25 views0 comments


bottom of page